Pain, Injuries and Muscle strains after exercising can lead to people regularly popping pills to reduce the pain and inflammation of affected areas.
However I believe a more effective way to solve these problems is through the power of food! Instead of eating a diet high in refined foods such as (white bread, pasta, rice, cakes and biscuits) and products with a high trans fat content such as fried foods that can cause inflammation and pain; we should eat foods that are high in protein, for example poultry and fish. We should also aim to optimize our consumption of fruit and vegetables as they provide great sources of antioxidant protecting our cells from damage.
My top 10 healing foods ….
- Oily fish-Salmon, Mackerel and sardines are all rich in the essential omega 3 fatty acids. They produce compounds called prostaglandins that lower inflammation. As well as providing a good source of protein and vitamin D helping the growth and repair of muscles and for bone health.
- Turmeric- contains curcumin that works by inhibiting carbon dioxide and therefore reducing pain and inflammation. It works best when it is paired with black pepper as this helps its absorption into the blood stream.
- Avocado- packed with potassium and electrolytes effective with the prevention of cramping. As well as providing healthy monounsaturated fats that are good anti-inflammatories.
- Chicken- Very high protein source and rich in zinc these promote growth and healing of the tissues and muscles.
- Blueberries- are an amazing source of vitamin C, K and magnesium supporting healthy bones. They are also rich in anthocyanin’s- these are a powerful antioxidant that reduces muscle damage.
- Ginger- has active compounds, volatile oils and phenols that reduce inflammation and improve mobility.
- Green tea- is very high in antioxidants and containing phytochemicals that help to fight inflammation as well as supporting the joints.
- Yogurt- is rich in calcium and all important vitamin D that is needed to absorb the calcium these support bone health and the immune system.
- Pineapple- Contain bromelain and papain that are very good for reducing inflammation and can be very effective treating sprains, strains and reducing swelling and pain.
- Kiwi- very nutrient-dense packing in an amazing amount of vitamin C, fiber and high in potassium. Studies show that kiwi can help damaged cells to repair themselves.